For some families, the return of the neighborhood school bus triggers a massive sigh of relief. You’ve survived another summer and can now comfortably settle back into routines. For others, there’s nothing fun about back-to-school. You’re getting up earlier, herding cranky kids, and spending less time with those little people you love so much. No matter how you feel about the return to school, you may be struggling with the disruption to family routines. So what can you do now that the kids are back in school? Here are our top picks.
Whether it’s a quick class on the way to pick up the kids or a morning rejuvenation, when you finally get a few minutes alone, adding a fitness routine to your day can make you healthier and make parenting feel easier. Try some of these strategies:
- Don’t spend money on expensive gimmicks, apps, or fitness trackers. Fitness doesn’t have to drain your bank account. Just get moving. Head to the new Gateway Parks Amenity Center for low-key fun and fitness. Or grab the dog and a friend and take a quick walk or jog around the neighborhood. Fitness is easy when your surroundings are beautiful.
- Join a fitness class. There are some excellent yoga options nearby. Check out Divinity Yoga or Ebb and Flow Yoga.
- Work out some stress at Boxing FIIT, where you’ll burn calories, build strength, and learn some vital self-defense skills.
Join a Class With the Littles
If you’re home with toddlers or preschoolers while the big kids are at school, the key to not losing your mind is to burn through their boundless energy with some fun classes. Here are some awesome mommy/daddy and me classes:
Check Out a New Business
Forney is rapidly transforming into a retail hub with plenty of options for shopping, dining, and supporting local companies. Check out one of the new businesses Forney has welcomed to the community over the past few months.
Plan for a Fun Weekend
The end of summer doesn’t have to mean the end of family fun. In fact, one of the fastest ways to shake off your kids’ back-to-school blues is to show them that they don’t have to leave the fun of summer in the past. Plan a family campout in the backyard and make s’mores. Schedule a weekend trip to see a friend or family member. Or head to Dallas and spend the day eating, perusing shops, and letting your kids run wild.
For a little fun closer to home, try one of these great options:
- Get bouncing at Aim High Bounce.
- Get up close and personal with a variety of animals at The Gentle Zoo.
- Burn off some excess energy at Obstacle Warrior Kids of Garland.
- Jump and climb at Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park.
- Escape boredom together at Family Fun Escape Rooms.
At Gateway, there’s always something to do. Our family-friendly community means your kids will always feel safe riding their bikes, walking the dog, or heading to the pool. To learn more about available homes, visit us today.